Because the Supreme Court docket prepares to overturn Roe, senators urge Biden to “reveal to the nation and ladies in every single place that you’ll do the whole lot in your energy to struggle again.”
U.S. Senators Patty Murray (D-Wash.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) led 23 of their Senate colleagues final week in a letter to President Biden urging him to right away difficulty an govt order directing the federal authorities to develop a nationwide plan to defend Individuals’ basic reproductive rights, together with their proper to an abortion.
“That is an all-hands-on-deck second to guard abortion rights. With the Supreme Court docket prone to overturn Roe v. Wade any day now—fulfilling Republicans’ radical, decades-long push to ban abortion—we’d like an all of presidency plan to guard each American’s reproductive rights,” mentioned Murray, who serves as chair of the Senate Well being, Schooling, Labor and Pensions Committee.
A leaked opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Ladies’s Well being Group from early Could indicated that the Court docket was preparing to overturn the 49-year-old precedent Roe v. Wade, which acknowledged the constitutional proper to abortion healthcare. Along with overturning abortion rights, the broadly-written leaked opinion threatens constitutional rights to contraception as effectively.
“With Republicans persevering with their nonstop assaults on the appropriate to abortion, entry to birth control, IVF and so much more, Democrats should struggle again with each lever we have now to get girls the care they want,” mentioned Murray.
States legislatures have handed a record-breaking variety of restrictions this 12 months, together with abortion bans and civil bounty hunter legal guidelines in Texas and Oklahoma. If Roe is overturned, 26 states are sure or prone to ban abortion, and Republican leaders have already acknowledged they’ll push for a nationwide abortion ban overlaying all 50 states.
“As extremist judges and Republican politicians intensify their efforts to strip Individuals of their fundamental reproductive freedoms, you possibly can reveal to the nation and ladies in every single place that you’ll do the whole lot in your energy to struggle again,” states the letter.
The senators’ letter requires Biden to mobilize the “full power of the federal authorities” to guard the appropriate to abortion.
“We urge you to right away difficulty an govt order instructing the leaders of each federal company to submit their plans to guard the appropriate to an abortion inside 30 days. Individuals throughout the nation are vulnerable to dropping their basic rights, together with their constitutional proper to abortion protected for generations. They deserve a minimum of a whole-of-government response.”
The letter lays out a number of particular suggestions, together with:
- Growing entry to medicine abortion.
- Offering assets for people in search of abortion care in different states, akin to vouchers for journey, childcare companies and different types of help.
- Establishing a reproductive well being ombudsman on the Division of Well being and Human Providers to coach the general public and analyze knowledge about entry to reproductive companies.
- Imposing the “Free Selection of Supplier” necessities guaranteeing Medicaid beneficiaries the liberty to hunt household planning companies from their supplier of alternative.
- Clarifying protections for delicate well being and placement knowledge to forestall the sale of personally identifiable data from web sites and apps (akin to interval trackers) in states that criminalize reproductive decision-making.
- Utilizing federal property and assets to extend entry to abortion, akin to offering federal staff with paid day off and reimbursement for bills essential to entry abortion.
“Democrats want to make use of each instrument at their disposal to guard girls and their constitutional proper to an abortion. President Biden’s govt authority to marshall the assets of all the federal authorities is certainly one of our strongest instruments. With an extremist Supreme Court docket poised to overturn Roe v. Wade, now could be the time to behave,” mentioned Warren.
Sign and share Ms.’s relaunched “We Have Had Abortions” petition—whether or not you your self have had an abortion, or just stand in solidarity with those that have—to let the Supreme Court docket, Congress and the White Home know: We won’t surrender the appropriate to protected, authorized, accessible abortion.