FDA Authorizes Updated COVID Boosters to Target Newest Variants

0
5


Aug. 31, 2022 – The FDA on Wednesday granted emergency use authorization to Omicron-specific COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.

The company cited information to help the security and efficacy of this subsequent era of mRNA vaccines focused towards variants of concern.

If you happen to’ve been ready to get a variant-specific booster shot, it’s possible you’ll be in luck as early as subsequent week.

The Pfizer EUA corresponds to the corporate’s mixture booster shot that features the unique COVID-19 vaccine in addition to a vaccine designed to guard towards the latest Omicron variants, BA.4 and BA.5.

The Moderna mixture vaccine will comprise each the agency’s authentic COVID-19 vaccine and a vaccine to guard particularly towards Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants.

As of Aug. 27, BA.4 and BA.4.6 accounted for about 11% of circulating variants, and BA.5 made up virtually all of the remaining 89%, CDC information present.

The following step will probably be a evaluate of the scientific information by the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, which is about to fulfill Thursday and Friday. The ultimate hurdle earlier than distribution of the brand new vaccines will probably be a sign-off on CDC suggestions to be used by company Director Rochelle Walensky, MD.

It is a growing story. Please verify again for updates.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here